Monday, August 4

le patriote

as i was casually scrolling through my playlist, the song patriot came up again.

I am a patriot, I love my country
Because my country is all I know
I wanna be with my family
People who understand me
I got no place else to go...
I am a patriot...

and i was thinking, i only just realised how close the olympics were to starting. because for the past couple of days i've been wandering the streets window shopping, and i see all these olympic merchandise being peddled everywhere.



and it struck me: one of the most watched sporting event is gonna be held in my country.

you see usually i don't give a flying hoot about olympics and whatnot. it has about the same overall aesthetic appeal to me as a giraffe's tongue. i'd rather be sitting on the couch on a fine saturday afternoon with a beer in one hand and the tv remote in the other enjoying a fine game of rugby being played out (okay save for the beer part).

i don't know what happened but something clicked inside and i did the only thing i know how to do best when feeling irrational: i went out and bought something, in this case a t-shirt:


there was also another version with a purely yellow/red colourway which reminded too much of the old chinese high chicken suit, so naturally i took a pass on that.

and for once, the made-in-china label seemed to be the logical choice - i wouldn't want to have it made anywhere else, in case some douchebag screws up the chinese characters or tries to put some hidden nazi message into the design.

so there you go. i guess that was my patriotic moment in a nutshell. now back to the olympics... what did i want to say again? argh i can't remember. bah.


oh and here's something funny related to nazis: behind the door of a toilet cubicle on a university campus, someone scribbled

"the Americans are the Nazis of the 20th century"

and below that someone else scribbled in red

"the Nazis are the Nazis of the 20th century you dumbf*ck"



+listening to: patriot by pearl jam

0 says: